Tuesday, September 1, 2009

An Appeal for Understanding on Posts

The overwhelming majority of you have given positive feedback about the coverage on this blog and about word of the gay which many of you seem to love. There are some who take offense to certain postings and this post is directed to you in the hopes of clarification.

It is my sincere hope and aspiration to unite the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersexual, asexual community and allies to work towards a positive future that entails full dignity, respect, and equality. There are those who argue that these identities should work separately, intersex people who don't want to be co-opted by trans people, gay people who don't feel gender identity has anything to do with sexual liberation. While all of these identities are different and have their own struggles, we all unite under an umbrella of being discriminated against because of our sexual/gender, identity and/or expression.

The Word of the Gay postings seem to bring about the most frustration among certain individuals. Word of the Gay features words, acronyms, and phrases that are positive, negative, or neutral about the LGBT community. Some words are funny, some are rare, and some are deeply offensive such as "tranny", "faggot", "hermaphrodite" and "dyke" among many others. These postings do not celebrate queerphobic terms, they are a reality and are used against us every day. This is an opportunity to define and discuss what these words mean to us and is in no way a signal that these words should be condoned nor used. Some words have been reclaimed over the course of time, but that is up to the movement, identity, and is something an individual must decide for themselves.

This blog has been dedicated to being fully inclusive and posting about how we can all embrace activism online and empower us to create the change we seek. I apologize to anyone who has been offended but it was not the intention.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well my bloggy friend I have only one thing to say
"Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Diane J Standiford said...

Hey! I LOVE "Word of the Gay" and I have learned a lot. I think I am smart enough to understand not all words are used much or are appropriate in conversation or design. We need to "get over ourselves" and move on. I have same problem in disabled community. Certain people don't like certain words to describe themselves, others do, others don't care, some don't want anything to do with terms about illness or disability. I gave up long ago, thinking that I could please everyone as EVERYONE is unique; however, what I try to impress over and over is that it is our similarities we must focus on, all people, all over the freakin world. We all have MUCH more in common than we sometimes think. WE label ourselves and others WAAAAY more than our individual "group" (tribe?) we belong to. You don't like the hat? Don't wear it. But don't shoot the messenger here, on this blog. These words are a part of our history, like it or not, and like it or not we must learn about our history to ever change our future.

Diane J Standiford said...

Oh, I may continue? OK, I HATE the word "Queer" as a group name. I am in my 50s and it is offensive to me. It is still used to bully and tease children, so WHO do we empower by the use of it? NO ONE. That is my opinion. I think it is a big mistake on our part to use it because it has another meaning that will never change and that meaning does not mean me or my friends. So I continue to fight its use, but I certainly understand the desire behind people wanting to use it and it would never stop me from embracing the user when the user has good intentions. OK, I'm shutting up now.

Queers United said...

Bridge it's so true, much love!

Dianne I couldn't say it better myself, we have so much in common and our enemies all pick on us for the same common themes, so its best we work together as opposed to wasting time debating the merits of who belongs to whom.

Hedo said...

I understand that your intentions are to do good, and have no objection to that. My only objections have been to some statements made on this blog that were better off not being made, or were worded in a way that did not get your real point across to most of us and ended up being offensive almost entirely by accident, as well as your use of words in a way that differed significantly from how the majority of us would use it.

Personally, I would like to see more acknowledgement that sex and gender are separate (though not irrelevant) things, and be a little more careful with your gender-related posts.

Other than that, however, I really do love this blog and I've learned a LOT from reading it, and I think you should keep up the good work.

Queers United said...

Hedo - thanks for the input and please don't hesitate to call out something that isnt worded properly, I am not perfect nor an expert but I hope to learn more as I blog.

David - Thanks for your kind words and for all the activism you do as well!

David Elijah Nahmod said...

THANK YOU!
Sometimes I take a little heat for speaking so bluntly at my own site~~maybe Queers United is an example I could follow to better get my own message out!
(-:

Jason said...

Well stated Queers United. I too have learned a lot from this site!

Check out my new blog...
http://tothewisdomplace.blogspot.com/

Thank You!

Anonymous said...

I think Word Of The Gay is really interesting, although I'm often just struck by all the stupid terms that have been created to insult all or some of us. I can understand why Dianne doesn't like the use of the word Queer as an umbrella term because of its historical negative use, but personally as a bisexual I love it because it includes everyone and it's got attitude. Yes, bullies and bigots use it. So what? The only way to deal with a bully is to stand up to them. Throw it back in their face. You know that look we've all seen when someone straight realizes that you're not "like them", maybe even a little, dare I say, "queer"? That's when I wish it was in neon letters flashing over my head "Yeah that's right, get over it. I'm Q-U-E-E-R." Sorry, a little off topic, I got carried away. Anyway, I like Word Of The Gay.

ClosetedBaptistLesbian said...

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

I love word of the Gay and have found it very informative. It's funny, I'm about 25 years younger than Dianne, and in my circles "queer" is like a badge of honor - although some of these words are kind of like the "B" word that rhymes with witch - if your friend says it it's a sign of affection, if your enemy says it it's a sign of a fight!

Post a Comment