Monday, November 10, 2008

Urge Senator Ruben Diaz to Support Marriage Equality

The New York state house leadership passed a resolution to allow gay marriage, but the bill has been stalling in the republican controlled senate that will not allow it to come up for a vote. Now that New York democrats have gained slight control of the senate it could possibly come up for a vote. Four democrats are likely to side with the GOP. Senator Ruben Diaz of the Bronx has said this regarding gay marriage:

“If Senator-elect Hiram Monserrate has made a decision in Puerto Rico to endorse Senator Malcolm Smith, that is his decision. I have not made a decision yet and hope the others have not either. I have not committed myself to anybody, and my position as an ordained minister and a pastor will not allow me to support any would-be leader that will bring gay marriage to the Senate floor.

“This is nothing new. Mr. Smith and all my colleagues have known my position for more than a year. That does not make me a Republican. Where is it written that in order to be a Democrat you have to suport gay marriage? And where is it written that if you do not support gay marriage you are not a good Democrat? I have always been a Democrat. I remain a Democrat, and I will continue to be a Democrat. A Democrat who rejects gay marriage and abortion based upon my beliefs."(Politics on the Hudson)
Please contact Senator Diaz and give him compelling reasons why he should support marriage equality and let the senate bring the bill to a vote. The NY democratic party supports marriage equality and the majority of New Yorkers support it as well and its wrong to deny equal rights to all NY residents regardless of ones religious beliefs.

1733 East 172nd Street
Bronx, NY 10472
Tel: (718) 991-3161
Fax: (718) 991-0309

diaz@senate.state.ny.us

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can try, but Diaz is known for being a major homophobe.

Anonymous said...

I just heard on a Christian radio station that they are going to try and get a gay marriage ban in West Virginia.

Post a Comment